Sunday 13 October 2013


Farmhouse Cake

This is my favourite cake recipe. The milky smell is so comforting and feel good. It was given to me by an old lady who lived in Ponsanooth about 25 years ago and I have been making it regularly ever since. 
A recipe that you can chop and change, adapt in any way you want. This is the basic mix but I often use chopped dates and chopped walnuts instead of the sultanas. Add spices,  cherries, or chopped apricots. Coconut too… you name it…. If you omit the fruit you have the basic mix, then just go ahead and invent.

This is a boiled cake mix and uses just one medium saucepan. I find it cooks best in a 2lb loaf tin which is easier to slice too. I half line the oiled tin, to help lift out the finished cake.


In a medium saucepan put:

I cup of sultanas
1 cup of caster sugar
4 oz butter
1 cup of milk

Gently heat then bring to the boil. Leave for a while, until cool enough to add:

2 cups of Self Raising Flour
2 medium beaten eggs

Mix well and tip in the prepared loaf tin. Dredge generously with Demerera Sugar.
Bake in a preheated fan oven, 160 Deg C for about 1 hour. Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. A winner for my husband's lunchbox. It was still fresh at the end of the week. Will make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete